Tuesday, June 3, 2008

jumping the gun

I'd originally planned (hoped?) to avoid commenting on campaign politics till at least after results were in tonight - from both the final two Presidential primaries, and from New Mexico primary (selecting Dem & Rep House candidates, and Rep Sen candidate).

Alas, having little else to say, my resolve has evaporated.

Here goes.

I've said it before & I'll say it again: to any and all Dem candidates for any and all offices - RUN ON W's RECORD!
"My opponent wants to engage in ad hominem attacks, accusing me of having carnal knowledge of my swine. I'll let him/her. If he/she could win on the issues, he/she wouldn't resort to these attacks. If you're happy with where the country is today, and with where it is headed, please: vote Republican! Me? I think it's time to stop the madness!"
As a rule I believe that simply attacking the opposition is a very poor campaign tactic. ANYONE can point out a problem.

For the past several election cycles, NM1 Dem challengers to Rep incumbents have relied solely on, "Incumbent is bad!" messages. I've found this foolish. For one thing, it's never worked - so why do folks keep using it? For another thing - as stated above - it's really easy to point out problems. Anyone can do it. The trick is to present yourself as the SOLUTION!

That said... This time around I think it perfectly reasonable to simply note that REPUBLICAN "leadership" got us where we are today, and to invoke the popular definition of insanity:
... doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results
[note: this quotation is poorly attested - attributed to, among others, Einstein & Ben Franklin!]
In this case it's simply insane to expect the Republicans to get us out of the many holes they got us into (Iraq, economy, health care, etc... pick your favorite hole).

For that reason, for this campaign only: run on W's record! "If you like where we are today, and where we're headed, by all means - vote Republican! Me? I think it's time to stop the madness!"

Stop the madness!

No comments: