Thursday, February 28, 2008

We're doomed!

Bush says US not headed into a recession

Given W's brilliance, I'd say the odds in favor of a recession just improved considerably.

This is an admittedly snarky post, themed, "If W says it, bet agin' it!"

Even his prognostications regarding his own political condition have been remarkably wrong - and I'd sort of expect him to get this part of the job right! Recall his assessment following the 2004 election:
"I earned capital in the campaign, political capital, and now I intend to spend it. It is my style. That's what happened in the -- after the 2000 election, I earned some capital. I've earned capital in this election -- and I'm going to spend it for what I told the people I'd spend it on, which is -- you've heard the agenda: Social Security and tax reform, moving this economy forward, education, fighting and winning the war on terror."
[President Holds Press Conference, 4 Nov 2004, emphasis added]
Notice a trend here?

"Moving this economy forward"? Yeah - that's gone well. I guess it's all a matter of perspective - from where he stands maybe movement has been forward. [Aside: I used to have a poster in my office, showing a lone mountain goat standing atop a rock, with the caption, "I'm so far behind, I think I'm first"... I'm not sure why, but that seems appropriate.]

My favorite is "fighting and winning the war on terror"... but he's not too proud to keep selling us fear to protect telecoms!... bin Laden is still at large, and TSA honestly believes my mouthwash is a potential explosive device!

Yep - if W says we're not headed for a recession, it's time to invest in portable, convertible, tangible assets - gold, diamonds... (real estate may not be such a good bet!)

Stop the madness!

No comments: